|KATH Maternity and First Lady Rebecca Akufo-Add|
From GhanaSky.com correspondent, this may address the issue of death of children and women due to lack of space at the existing Mother and Baby Unit in Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Kumasi.
The leadership of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) caucus in parliament donated an amount of GH¢50,000 towards the ‘Save-A-Mother, Save-A-Child’ project of First Lady Rebecca Akufo-Addo.
The new ultramodern Mother and Baby Unit at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital is ready for commissioning.
The facility is expected to help bring down the high mortality rate at Ghana's second-biggest Teaching Hospital as it will help address the problem of congestion. Quite impressive, Ghanaians said, they need more of this.
It took a Ga woman - First Lady Rebecca Akufo-Addo the boldness to do something for the people of Ashanti region. She really need to be rewarded.
The facility, built in 5 months will house the Maternity, Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care units.
It is meant to address the needless death of children and women due to lack of space at the existing Mother and Baby Unit.
Two separate fund-raisers in Accra and Kumasi saw individuals and corporate entities contributing about 10 million Ghana cedis in support of the project.
Plans to construct the Mother and Baby Unit follows a documentary by Joy News' Seth Kwame Boateng which highlighted the plight of nursing mothers and their new- born babies at the hospital.
Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) is located in Kumasi, the Regional Capital of Ashanti Region with a total projected population of 4,780,380 (2000).
The geographical location of the 1200-bed Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, the road network of the country and commercial nature of Kumasi make the hospital accessible to all the areas that share boundaries with Ashanti Region and others that are further away.
As such, referrals are received from all the northern regions (namely, Northern, Upper East and Upper West Regions), Brong Ahafo, Central, Western, Eastern and parts of the Volta Regions.
KATH Historical Background
In the 1940s, there was a hospital located on the hill over-looking Bantama Township designated African and European Hospitals. As their names implied, the African side treated Africans while the European side treated Europeans. However, on some rare occasions, high-ranking African government officials were given treatment in the European section.
By 1952, the need to construct a new hospital to cater for the fast increasing population in Kumasi and therefore Ashanti Region arose. The European Hospital was therefore transferred to the Kwadaso Military Quarters to make way for the new project to begin. In 1954/55 the new hospital complex was completed and named the Kumasi Central Hospital. The name was later changed to the Komfo Anokye Hospital in honour and memory of the powerful and legendary fetish priest, Komfo Anokye.
The hospital became a Teaching hospital in 1975 for the training of Medical Student in collaboration with the School of Medical Sciences of the University of Science and Technology, Kumasi.
To become a medical centre of excellence offering Clinical and Non-Clinical services of the highest quality standards comparable to any international standards', within 5 years.
To provide quality services to meet the needs and expectations of all its clients. This will be achieved through well-motivated and committed staff applying best practice and innovation.
-The Ghana Health Services and Teaching Hospitals Act 525, 1996 established autonomous Teaching Hospital Boards.
-The hospital is governed by a Board made up of 4 Non-Executive members (government appointees), 6 Executive members and the Dean of the School of Medical Sciences.
-The hospital operates within the Ministry of Health broad Policy Framework
-The Chief Executive is in charge of the day to day management of the hospital
Address: P.O.Box 1934, Kumasi, GHANA.
Phone: 03220 22301 - 3